Translate

Thursday, December 6, 2012

"Reclaimed Wood" Style Distress Tutorial

I finished a new project today and I thought it turned out nicely. I had to share it with everyone. We got a table in on consignment last week. It was nice, but nothing special and the top was damaged. The owner was open to me giving it a little spruce-up so I went to town. The table was made of oak pieced together and sort of resembled all those reclaimed wood projects blowing up Pinterest lately. So I decided to enhance that look and here's what I came up with.

Here's the before. You can see the different pieces that make up the table top. 
I taped along each seam of wood and painted each with craft paint.
Here are my finished stripes. 
I painted leaving thicker and thinner parts for texture and I left a little space between stripes. 
After the paint dried I sanded with rough sandpaper. 
I painted irregular black lines for more definition between stripes and then used an old candle to wax the surface. 
I painted another messy layer of similar colors over the wax. 
I let let the paint dry. Then I scraped away the wax and some of the paint. 
After scraping I sanded again to get more of the wood to show through. 
Then some dark stain wiped on and off quickly. 
And here's the finished table top. I painted the edge black to finish it off. 
I also painted the feet black to tie into the top. "Reclaimed Wood" Coffee table $150

 Check back for more projects coming soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment